The site I’m working on now, deploys as static files. I haven’t put up a non-server-side-dynamic site since high school, so I’m exploring my options. I thought I could just throw the whole thing up on Amazon S3, but was surprised that it was slower than the current setup (nginx on Linode). I have been reading about the importance of fast load speeds on conversion, google ranking, etc (for example), so speed is a big priority for me. Here’s how I cut my site’s page load time down from around a second to around 500ms.
Last week I had a post make it to the Hacker News front page, and my site immediately went down. After fighting with it for a while, I was able to get it limping along well enough to last the day, and since then I’ve made several simple changes that serve as a much more robust solution. I imagine there are a ton of self-hosters out there with similar setups as I had, so hopefully the details of my comeuppance will help others preventatively.