Hot Or Not: Back Up, Kind Of

A while back I built my own thermostat using an Arduino, nodejs, and Google Calendar. It worked really well, but when I moved to a new apartment last year I couldn’t use it (because I now have window units instead of centralized heating/AC). I finally got around to putting it back together this weekend, but I had to rip out the (now unused) thermostat code. What was a Google-Calendar-controlled thermostat is now just a thermometer. Not nearly as cool, but I’m at least glad to have the portion that makes sense back up. You can see it here. Continue reading Hot Or Not: Back Up, Kind Of

Weekend Project: Generate an (HTML + JS) eCommerce Site

My Etsy store has been doing well, but I’d like to overcome the friction of requiring an Etsy account. To reach a wider audience, I’d like to additionally offer my products on a site that wasn’t specific to a community. To that end, I created a tool which generates a static HTML + Javascript eCommerce site. Here’s the result: Creative Retrospection. Continue reading Weekend Project: Generate an (HTML + JS) eCommerce Site

Communique From 1863

I picked up a telegraph sounder on ebay this week. I don’t know much about its heritage, but it definitely looks vintage. I wrote some code (see below) to get my Arduino to clack away on it. In the video, the sounder is tapping out the Gettysburg Address, which is the example text in the code. Continue reading Communique From 1863

Power Hungry

I finished my first significant electronics project in a while: Power Hungry.  The idea is that I use sensors to monitor the actual voltage & amperage usage of various devices in my apartment, and I wirelessly transmit that to a base station, which calculates various statistics.  The results are then beamed to my linode server, where I have some graphs of the data.  The ultimate goal is to use this data to reduce my overall energy usage, but for now I’m just working on establishing a baseline, so I can best judge the effectiveness of whatever changes I make.  The results so far, though, are fairly interesting. Continue reading Power Hungry

Drop-Dead Simple Authentication for Microapps

For Inspectinator (a sinatra microapp), I needed a database-less authentication solution that was as lightweight as possible, but with a reasonable amount of security and maintainability. I came up with something that suits this purpose well, and I’m sharing it in case anyone is looking for something similar. I call it EasyAuth. Continue reading Drop-Dead Simple Authentication for Microapps

Announcing Inspectinator

I’ve been wanting to experiment with sinatra for a while, so I popped something off my things-to-do-someday list and put together Inspectinator.  It’s aim is pretty straight-forward: parse standard ruby #inspect strings into a more palatable form.  It parses a string into a system of nested objects, and displays it as a tree.  Some simple jQuery let’s you drill down to the level of detail you want. Continue reading Announcing Inspectinator